⚡ Powerful moments = coffee marketing magic
Engineer a few key ‘highs’ for your customer and turn them into a fans for life.
How many times have you visited a coffee shop or online store and thought to yourself: “This looks familiar. I’ve been here before!”
- The Shopify store laden with stock photography
- The blindingly white and plain Nordic-style cafe
- The industrial roaster who’s trying to be a beer brewery
There’s something to say about keeping things simple, but sustainable businesses aren’t built out of vanilla experiences.
If you really want to make a name for yourself, you have to create some powerful moments.
What’s your popsicle hotline?
There’s a famous hotel in LA called The Magic Castle Hotel. It’s a pretty standard 3-star motel. Not glamorous. Older rooms. Interior design that looks like your grandma’s house.
And it’s one of the top hotels in all of Los Angeles.
There’s this phone by the pool, you see. A big red one. ☎️
Above it is written “Popsicle Hotline”.
When you pick up the phone, someone on the other end answers.
“Hello, this is the popsicle hotline. What color popsicle would you like?”
You pick a color, and within seconds, a white-gloved butler brings out a popsicle on a silver platter, hands it to you, the disappears back into the hotel.
Talk about poolside service.
This isn’t an ordinary trip to the pool. This is a powerful moment.
I bet you can guess what vacationers go back home and tell their friends about. That’s the power of a moment that’s unique, fun, unexpected, or quirky.
5 Powerful moments you can create for your customers
- If you’re a counter service coffee shop, walk around and offer to refill peoples’ water glasses
- Send a personalized welcome letter – not just an email -to people who buy your coffee online
- Once a day, roll dice to randomly select a person in your cafe to get a free pastry, then make a celebration out of it
- Automatically hand everyone who walks into your shop a glass of water without them having to ask for it
- Partner with a charity you support to send a personalized “thank you” card to people who buy from you online (for impact-driven online stores)
Go the extra mile. Do something that’s not scaleable. Surprise and delight, even if it’s hard. It’ll be worth it.
What powerful moments can you create?
Let me know if you get any great ideas 🙂
Hey 👋 I'm Garrett Oden
Freelance Coffee Marketer
I'm a coffee industry native who works with coffee brands around the world to create and execute captivating marketing strategies.
Working with a coffee consultant can help you skip the trial-and-error stages of starting and growing a coffee business. Here’s who we suggest working with.
Want to sell more subscription coffee? Use these (non-scammy) landing page copywriting tricks to better connect with potential customers and close more sales.